What about Medigap coverage if I don’t qualify for Medicare?

Asked by Anonymous from Anonymous

What about Medigap coverage if I don't qualify for Medicare?
What about Medigap coverage if I don’t qualify for Medicare?

First, let’s clear up some terminology. Medicare is the public health insurance the United States provides to people over 65 years. Medigap is a short-hand term for “Medicare Supplement Insurance” which is the insurance that supplements Medicare. Since Medicare doesn’t cover everything fully, some people purchase supplemental insurance to further reduce their own liability for medical costs. There are 2 types of Medigap insurance: coverage for hospitals (Medicare Type A) and coverage for medical care and outpatient care (Medicare Type B). One would only use Medigap insurance when they qualify for Medicare.

Unless a person is disabled, they have to be 65 to qualify for Medicare and therefore Medigap. If a person is disabled, then Medicare (Type A) kicks in. If a person is disabled and looking for supplemental health insurance to Medicare, the person would need to purchase medical insurance like everyone else. However, pre-existing conditions might prevent an insurance company from offering health insurance.

In Colorado, there is a plan called Cover Colorado and it is insurance for the uninsurable. It is good insurance, but it is normally very expensive. There are similar plans in other states.

When a disabled person does turn 65,he or she will be able to sign up for any plan they wish with Medicare Gap within their first 6 months of turning 65 and they will not be asked ANY medical questions and they will not be considered to have ANY preexisting conditions.

If the question is what insurance is available to people under the age of 65, then there are plenty of policies ranging from just Major Medical to full coverage policies.




Please note: InsureMe Answers is not intended to be a substitute for advice from a licensed professional. For specific questions about a policy or claim, please contact your insurance agent or company.

Leave a Comment